Basic Principles of Boosting Immunity: Focus on healing foods and herbs that have strong antibacterial and antiviral properties is of primary importance, along with improving immune system function and eliminating foods that suppress it.
Check with your medical doctor for any drug-herb interactions and/or contraindications first.
| - Sugar (especially refined)|
- Corn, soy, and wheat (gluten)
- Hydrogenated foods
- Excess animal protein
- Excess flour intake
| - Highly processed foods|
- GMO Foods
- Artificial ingredients
- Chronic stress
- Excessive EMF exposure
- Limited sunshine or vitamin D supplementation
- Vitamin C (peppers, kale, oranges, etc)
- Vitamin D (sunlight and/or fermented cod liver oil)
- Zinc (pumpkin seeds or supplement; don’t over-do it! too much zinc supplementation can inhibit the function of the immune system)
- Vitamin A (supplement or leafy green veggies, fish, eggs, orange & yellow veggies)
Specific supplements that might help:
- Glutathione (not for long term use)
- Good multi-vitamin
- Probiotics (supplement or consider sauerkraut, coconut kefir, apple cider vinegar, and/or kombucha)
Eat more Antibacterial foods:
| - Garlic|
- Coconut oil
- Fermented foods
| - Cabbage|
Anti-Viral Herbs: (check with your doctor for contraindications or herb/drug interactions *don’t use if allergic & pregnant)
- Lemon balm
- Licorice root
- Olive leaf
- Oregano oil
- Usnea – prevents ATP formation in bacteria
Healthy living Fundamentals:
| - Don’t smoke.|
- Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat.
- Buy organic.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Control your blood pressure.
| - If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.|
- Get adequate sleep.
- Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
- Get regular medical screening tests for people in your age group and risk category.
- Stay Hydrated.
When Home Remedies Are Not Appropriate:
- TRAUMA: Serious injury head for the emergency room.
- EXTREMELY HIGH FEVER: over 104 degrees F can be a dangerous situation, get emergency care.
- TROUBLE BREATHING: unresponsive, limp in your arms, or has glazed eyes, you need to get help. Dial 911 or go to the emergency room immediately.
For additional guidance: Centers for Disease Control
To learn more about boosting your immunity naturally, contact Dr. Carmelo Caratozzolo at ACT Wellness Center, 14111 Minnieville Road, Woodbridge, Virginia. Call 703-491-9355.