Back Pain…Good Grief! Never underestimate the weight of an object, especially a pumpkin. Pumpkins generally weigh between 6 and 18 pounds (2.7 and 8.2 kg), though the largest cultivars (of the species C. maxima) regularly reach weights of over 75 pounds (34 kg). Source: Wikipedia.Before you lift anything, the single most important rule – Never Lift with Your Back! Lifting heavy objects improperly can put extra serious strain on your back, possibly resulting in injuries, back pain and worse yet, lumbar vertebral disc herniation(s).Here are some great tips when lifting a pumpkin:
- Always maintain good posture with your eyes straight ahead; your body will follow your line of vision.
- Alignment, stay in line with your spine. Before you move, align your hips and shoulders.
- Squat using your hips and legs only; avoid turning and twisting your body (improper turning and twisting is a recipe for disaster).
- Hold the pumpkin close to your body. The pumpkin should be positioned somewhere around your belly button.
- Wide and low, use your feet to lead the way. Take small steps to change your direction.
- Make sure you have a good grip, use lifting gloves.
- Test the weight of the object before lifting anything. If you experience back pain – Stop!
- If you can’t safely lift that pumpkin by yourself, recruit a friend.
- If it’s determined that you and your friend can’t lift that pumpkin, use doilies, a cart, or power lift equipment. Or better yet call a professional mover.
Want to learn a bit more about determining the weight of your pumpkin go here. Big Pumpkins is an interactive website all about pumpkins. They promote the hobby of giant pumpkin growing while embracing a culture of fun competition.
Check out the size of this record-breaking pumpkin. I bet you… these guys used a large crane and professional lifting equipment.
Tim Mathison straddling on his 2032 pound pumpkin, at the Uesugi Farms Pumpkin Park Weigh-off, setting a world record for the Heaviest pumpkin!
This is Tim Mathison straddling on his 2032 pound pumpkin, at the Uesugi Farms Pumpkin Park Weigh-off and setting the new world record for the Heaviest pumpkin, according to the World Record Academy. Congrats Tim!
WOW! That’s a lot of pumpkin to carve up; share some of the things you love….why not try some of these healthy yummy pumpkin recipes. From pumpkin pie, apple picking and jumping in a pile of leaves, there are so many things to enjoy about fall, especially the Pumpkin Patch in Woodbridge. We hope that all of you are having a wonderful October, and may you experience the joy of autumn without back pain.
For proper lifting, spinal health and wellness related questions feel free to contact Dr. Carmelo F. Caratozzolo, 703-397-8018, www.actwellness.com. Dr. “C” is a Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician (CCSP). His office address: ACT Wellness Center, 2894 Garber Way, Woodbridge, VA.