Health Benefits of Pumpkin
- A cup of mashed cooked pumpkin contains over 200 percent of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin A, which aids vision, particularly in dim light.
- Pumpkin is a great source of fiber. It has three grams per one cup serving and only 49 calories, meaning it’ll leave you fuller for longer with less calories.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in phytosterols which have been shown in studies to reduce LDL, or “bad cholesterol.”
- Pumpkins have the antioxidant beta-carotene which may help prevent cancer. Beta-carotene also helps prevent wrinkles.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in the amino acid tryptophan, which is that famous ingredient in turkey that many believe puts them to sleep (although experts agree it’s just the over-eating that makes us sleepy). Tryptophan is important in the production of serotonin which boosts your mood!
- A cup of cooked pumpkin has 564 milligrams of the refueling nutrient potassium. Potassium helps restore the body’s balance of electrolytes after a heavy workout and keeps muscles functioning at their best.
- One cup of pumpkin has about 20% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin C.
- Pumpkin seeds have anti-inflammatory properties that are very useful against the arthritis and joint inflammation.
- Pumpkin seeds have a high zinc content which promotes prostate health.
Further Reading & References:
This year, instead of buying pumpkins only to decorate your front steps, why not try this tasty and nutritious pumpkin recipe.
Superfood Recipe: Pumpkin Pie Parfait
Recipe by Caitlin Covington @ www.greatest.com/health/superfood-pumpkinWhat you’ll Need: 1/4 cup plain pumpkin purée (fresh or canned) 1/2 large frozen banana 1 to 1 1/2 cups almond milk 1 tablespoon chia seeds 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice Optional Toppings: Crumbled graham crackers Peanut butter (or any other nut butter) Cinnamon What to Do: Blend all ingredients in a blender, adding the almond milk as you go until reaching the desired consistency.
Pour into glass and top with desired toppings & ENJOY!
ACT Wellness Center / 2894 Garber Way / Woodbridge, VA / 703-491-9355 Mon. Tues. Thu. 9 – 12:30; 3 – 7pm; Wed. 3 – 7pm; Fri. – closed http://www.ACTwellness.com
Trackback from your site.