Fighting Allergies with Bio-Nutrition
With Memorial Day weekend behind us, summer is in full swing. For many, that includes trips to the beach or lake, enjoying the backyard pool and generally taking in the warmth of the outdoors. But for others, summer feels like a war zone, and allergens are the invaders. This means spending days indoors, taking five different allergy pills and being all-around miserable while others are having fun.
Instead of choking down pills and taking other artificial medicines, why not give your body a natural boost? Supplements, treatments and even certain foods can help you fight off allergens with a regimen called bio-nutrition. In only a few days and for a fraction of the cost of a prescription, you can be on your feet, chasing fireflies in the yard with the kids without a sneeze or a cough.
Raid the Pantry
Certain foods can greatly affect your immune system to help it fight off invaders, including allergens. One of the most well-known are citrus fruits and other sources of Vitamin C. This essential nutrient is vital to the strength of your immune system by essentially giving it ammunition. A fortified system will be able to neutralize and rid the body of allergens much more effectively.
A nutrient in onions called quercetin can also help you overcome your allergies. It reduces the occurrence of asthma, hay fever and itchy eyes. In addition, it has been proven effective against conditions like sinusitis, allergies, bronchitis, the cold and the flu.
In general, your diet can affect how well your body handles allergens. In particular, following a regimen rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables, called the Mediterranean diet, can reduce the occurrence of allergies and asthma. These foods are rich in antioxidants, which help eliminate foreign substances in the body.
Take Natural Supplements
Many medicines your doctor may prescribe to you for your allergies are likely ones first concocted in a laboratory. But there are natural medicines that have been shown to help the body be healthier, including fighting allergies. There are lists of hundreds of supplements to take, but a few supplements that may help include:
- Fish oil: Fatty oils found in fish help strengthen cell formation, which may help in fighting conditions like allergies and hay fever.
- Vitamin C: Though you can get this naturally from fruits, as mentioned above, you can also get supplements in case fruit is not part of your normal diet.
- Butterbur: Oils in butterbur called sesquiterpenes has been found to be just as effective as artificial antihistamines, and without the side effects like drowsiness.
- Bromelain: This supplement has been shown to reduce nasal swelling and mucus thickness. While it may not attack allergens, it will help you breathe better.
- Sinupret: This is a combination of many different plants in one, and has been shown to help the body fight allergies.
Where Do I Start?
As you can see, there are all sorts of supplements out there you can take; this list only scratched the surface. If you do not want to be taking a hundred different supplements a day, you can get expert advice at ACT Wellness when it comes to bio-nutrition in Woodbridge. Dr. Carmelo F. Caratozzolo can recommend a bio-nutrition and supplement regimen to help you reach your goals, whether you need allergy relief, are looking to lose weight or just want to feel better. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact us today!
Trackback from your site.